I saw the documentary, Heist at the Bellingham Human Rights Film Festival. The film reveals how American corporations orchestrated the dismantling of middle-class prosperity through rampant deregulation, the outsourcing of jobs and tax policies favoring businesses and the wealthy. Heist examines the roots of the American economic crisis, and the struggle of working and middle class people in the United States.
1. 1 is 3 people used to be in unions. Now only 1 in 14 people are in a union.
2. Comcast owns 51% of broadcast media. Media distorts news stories. Get your news from alternative media outlets such as Democracy Now!
3. 47 million Americans live in poverty.
4. The 400 richest Americans own more wealth than the bottom 150 million.
5. Nobody needs to make 500 million a year.
6. Corporate profits: 2010 third quarter: $1.66 trillion
7. CEO wages 185 times larger than workers wages.
8. Join a credit union. Do not support big banks.
Watch the trailer here.
I enjoyed this film. It made me think about where I should spend my money, what companies/businesses I should support and where I should get my news.