I recently watched the documentary, “Genetic Roulette.” It is about the dangers of genetically modified organisms (GMO’s). This documentary was part of the Bellingham Human Rights Film Festival. This has been an annual event for 12 years. This year they featured films about the environment, education, indigenous rights, Palestine/Israel, war and peace, and activism. I also saw “Bidder 70″ and “Heist.” I will discuss both of these films later.
Before seeing this film I knew that GMO’s were bad but I did not know too much about them.
Here is what I learned:
1. They take genes from one species and force it into the DNA of other species.
2. 88% of US corn is genetically modified, 94% of US soy is genetically modified, cotton (90%), canola (90%), sugar beets (95%), Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%), zucchini and yellow squash (over 24,000 acres).
3. They can put it on the market without telling the FDA or the consumer.
4. GMO’s are in your food. They were introduced in the mid-1990’s and are now present in the vast majority of processed foods in the US.
5. Although there have been attempts to increase nutritional benefits or productivity, the two main traits that have been added to date are herbicide tolerance and the ability of the plant to produce its own pesticide. These results have no health benefit, only economic benefit.
6. Genetically modified foods have been linked to toxic and allergic reactions, sick, sterile, and dead livestock, and damage to virtually every organ studied in lab animals.
7. “It appears there is a direct correlation between GMOs and autism.”–Arden Anderson, MD, PhD, MPH
8. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine urges physicians to tell their patients to avoid GM food. Several animals studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food. These include infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, and changes in major organs.
9. GMO’s may make you allergic to non-GM foods.
The following products are verified by the Non-GMO Project.
Alternative Dairy Products: Almond/Rice/Soy Dream, Blue Diamond, Earth Balance, Follow Your Heart, Coconut Bliss, Purely Decadent, Silk, So Delicious
Breads/Baked Goods: EatPastry, Enjoy Life Foods, Hodgson Mill, Immaculate Baking, Rudi’s
Candy/Chocolate/Sweeteners: Enjoy Life Foods, Immaculate Baking, Theo Chocolate
Cereals: Kashi, KIND, Nature’s Path, Van’s
Snack Food/Bars: Boulder Canyon Natural Foods, Garden of Eatin’, KIND,
Soups: Amy’s, Eden, Imagine
Tofu/Tempeh/Alternative Meat: Follow Your Heart, Lightlife, Nasoya, Tofurky, Turtle Island Foods
*Information from the documentary, “Genetic Roulette” and www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education